b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Samaritan Pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Samaritan Pentateuch
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:31:31 -0700

Jim wrote:

Although the Samaritan Pentateuch is not nearly as accurate as the Masoretic Text regarding substantive content, the Samaritan Pentateuch (a) may be as old as the Masoretic Text, and (b) may well be better than the Masoretic Text in reflecting the vulgar speech of both non-Hebrew Canaanites and the northern Hebrews.

The SP as we have it surely has a very late (2nd-1st cent.) layer, containing the polemical 10th commandment. Another layer down, we have the extensive harmonizations which must be later than the base that agrees with MT. Somewhere down at the bottom there is a core that, in isolated cases, preserves readings that are probably older than those in MT. But most of the differences, including plene and other spelling differences, must be representative of Samaria from the 4th century on, not the kingdom of Israel. So I think it inappropriate to invoke Canaanites and "northern Hebrews".

A limit on the age of the SP and its variations may be deduced from the fact that the Torah was edited in Jerusalem. When the Samaritans embraced it (possibly as late as the transfer of priests from Jerusalem to Shechem described by Josephus), they were accepting some implicit enemy propaganda (as opposed to the overt propaganda in Samuel-Kings, which they rejected).

Gabe Eisenstein