b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel and the Binyanim (Re: Verb Stem Confusion)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel and the Binyanim (Re: Verb Stem Confusion)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:59:41 +1100

Hi Isaac,

You are in an academic institution, so you have access to the works I mentioned. Pointing you to Greenberg (and the others) is therefore not worthless, because that is where the arguement for the verbal plurality function of the Piel is put forth. I don't want to do anything more than suggest that, and to have to do anything more than that would be wasting my time as I don't think you're willing to openly discuss this.

As for where you failed to address some of my concerns before with your theory, here's a sampling of posts:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2007-November/034627.html

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2007-November/034622.html

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2007-December/034737.html

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2007-November/034632.html

Regards,
David Kummerow.

George,

I have gone over the Hebrew bible many times over since childhood and have never encountered an instance where piel can be construed as implying an "intensive" or repetitive sense. If David has examples to the contrary I will be glad to consider them. The argument that "Greenberg claims so" is otherwise worthless.
He says "There are no infixed personal pronouns -- I've already demonstrated that". Did he demonstrate this? can he demonstrate this? Of course not.
I tend to agree with you that I should not argue with him any farther.

Isaac Fried