b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] OLAM - Forever or not?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] OLAM - Forever or not?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:49:31 +1100

> Indeed, which is why it makes sense to think of olam as
> conveying the notion of time continuing beyond all measure.

Not necessarily. (oLaM simply means 'always'. This may indicate infinite
time. However, it might just be a rhetorical way of indicating a fixed norm
(e.g., "I always lock the door when I leave"), or a way of saying 'as far as
I can see' (e.g. "This will always be a problem"). That is, it refers to a
period of time which is not going to be measured, even if that is in fact a
finite span of time.

It must not be interpreted as always (excuse the pun) indicating 'forever' -
that is, without end. This is within the semantic range of the word, but as
with any particular nuance, it must be determined from the given context.

To take a biblical example: Deut 15.17 states "Take an awl and pierce it
through his ear into the door, and he becomes your slave forever [ L:(oLaM)."
This verse cannot possible mean that the person becomes a slave for eternity.
In this case it means 'always' in the sense of 'for life' (cf. Holman CSB
translation).

As I always tell my students: "Context is your best friend!"

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au