b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re Ezk 3:14 in the heat of my spirit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re Ezk 3:14 in the heat of my spirit
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:57:39 +1100

Isaac Fried asks, "So, do you think that XOMAH, 'wall', is also related to
heat,
possibly because it keeps the enclosed town cozy and warm?"

Answer: No. The primary purpose of city walls was defence of the city's
residents. It had nothing to do with temperature insulation. To claim that
XOMAH ('wall') is linked semantically to XOM ('heat') is pushing credulity,
in my opinion. I don't think the suggestion has any more credence than
arguing that 'bear' (to have children) is related to 'bare' (naked) because
children are born naked.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au