b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Helo'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Helo'
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:32:03 -0500

Hi Keith,

An example or two of what you have in mind would help.

A simple yes-no question or a rhetorical question may be asked without use of the pre-formed /huh/ _Ha_. See Exo 8:22 velo' isqelunu or Jdg 11:23 ve'attah tirrashenu. Many of these examples begin with a vav, which indicates an association with the previous context.

I think you will find preformed /Ha/ is more likely when a question does not have the benefit of clear context to set it up or when it is used to alert the audience of an assertion which is framed as a question (a rhetorical question).

Shalom,
Bryan

Keith McCune wrote:
Dear Sirs:

So can I ask questions now?

If so...

What is the actual discourse function of "helo'"? I mean the word at the
beginning of the sentence whose literal translation is something like "Isn't
[it the case that]...?"

The reason I'm asking about actual function is that in many cases the
literal translation is something that in a normal modern English text we
would never say.

I think in a lot of cases the best dynamic translation might be something
like: "Now listen." Like, "Heads up, this is important."

What think ye?

--
B.M. Rocine
Living Word Church