b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Helo'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Keith McCune" <mccunes AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Helo'
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:52:58 +0200

Dear Sirs:

So can I ask questions now?

If so...

What is the actual discourse function of "helo'"? I mean the word at the
beginning of the sentence whose literal translation is something like "Isn't
[it the case that]...?"

The reason I'm asking about actual function is that in many cases the
literal translation is something that in a normal modern English text we
would never say.

I think in a lot of cases the best dynamic translation might be something
like: "Now listen." Like, "Heads up, this is important."

What think ye?

Keith McCune