b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezk 3:14 in the heat of my spirit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezk 3:14 in the heat of my spirit
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:55:43 +1100

Hi Oun!

As my teacher taught me, and as I teach my students, "Context is my best
friend." It should be fairly easy to determine from the context whether
"heat" or "anger" is the intended connotation. If in doubt, try both out and
see which one makes the most sense.

The two concepts aren't so apart, especially when you think that in English
we have terms like "hot tempered" to describe someone prone to anger. Anger
in Hebrew is associated with heat and [flaring] nostrils.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au