b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nahum and Hosea from Galilee?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nahum and Hosea from Galilee?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:59:22 +0200

Hi Oun,

Hosea was definately from the Northern Kingdom of Israel, although I don't recall there being any specific information about his hometown.

Nahum probably lived after the destruction of the Northern Kingdom, which makes it likely that he was actually from Judah. He is described as an "Elkoshite", but we have no idea where this Elkosh was. There are traditions that he was from Caperneum on the Sea of Galilee (Kinneret), as the Hebrew name of this town means "Village of Nahum", but this is probably a late tradition. There is also a tradition that he lived in the town of Alkosh in present-day northern Iraq, but there is no historical evidence that would verify this.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Oun Kwon" <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>