b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Need Help With Trope Identification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Need Help With Trope Identification
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:38:59 -0500

Before I give me comments/responses I have to ask the question to Yitzhak and Yigdal:
How did you figure out from a very small sample of the text that it was from a Hebrew version of the Gospel of Matthew?
I am extremely impressed!!!

Anthony is correct of the exact text from which it is from. Its from the 1551 Munster (Quin-Quarboreus ed.) version of the Hebrew Matthew.

Yitzhak asks what I want to get out of the analysis of the trope. Well, at this point nothing!
What I am trying to do is to make an e-text of this work (using the CCAT format of course).
So I am wanting to know what trope the writter was making with that odd (at least odd to me) glyph.
So at this point I'm not concerned with what should be there - I just want to know what is there.

On one of the preface pages of the text (which is in Latin) it mentions the use of the various tropes.
Here's a sample image:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~pgj_k/example_3.jpg
(If any of you know Latin, I could post the entire preface).

As you can see it mentions Zaqef Qaton, Etnach, and Sof Pesoq (all which the text odes use). But it doesn't name the trope in question - which I find odd since its the most common one in the text!!!

So it this glyph a hybrid of tipcha and merkha as suggested by Yitzhak (which I find odd since the writter knew of the other tropes)?
Or is this this a new unique trope all of its own?

I am appreciating the feedback thus far, and am looking forward to more!

B"H
John

"He who makes a mistake is still our friend; he who adds to or shortens a melody is still our friend; but he who violates a rhythm unawares can no longer be our friend."
-Ishaq Ibn Ibrahim 767-850 CE.

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"The difference between the intelligent man and the simpleton is not the correctness of their decisions, but rather the cunning sinner can more skillfully defend and justify his iniquity."
- Rabbi Tovia Singer