b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Root of words is the original meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Nick Ashton <hisnibbs AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Root of words is the original meaning?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:21:15 +0000

Hi,
am I right in thinking that when I read that the root of a hebrew word is such and such,
that was it's original; meaning, before the klanguage developed and was applied to other things?

Perhaps you could also comment on this particular example I was considering:-
H3117
???
yo?m
yome
From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally
(from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time
defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially): - age, . . .

*So, originally it signified 12 hours, but was later used to mean a longer period of time.*

e.g. 1:- Gen.2:4* *"in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,"

it has the preposition /be/ before /yom/, _unlike_ in Gen.1
As such it is an idiom for "when"

e.g. 2:- "in the day /(b-yom)/ that the Lord spake with Moses in mount Sinai. " (Num.3:1)

. .though it seems from the amount of detail Moses brought down that God was speaking to him for more than one day, he was gone for 40 days.