b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 5:2, two questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dana Densmore <verdelion AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew posts <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 5:2, two questions
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:15:23 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Pere Porta,

Thank you for your reply to my query. On the first question, you gave me
examples of masculine nouns not ending in --AH taking an WT plural form by
just adding WT after the third consonant. That does answer my question. No
doubt I have seen such words, but somehow I had got it in my head that the
masculine nouns were pluralized with the feminine-form plural because they
had ended in --AH, thus sounding feminine and creating a pull toward the WT.
Thanks; it's interesting that the pull to WT can be independent of the form
of the singular. Or perhaps it's just that the gender form is lightly held
in the living language.

On the second question, you say that you don't think the past tense in
English is a good understanding of the Hebrew here for the infinitives BPR(
and BHTNDB. The interpretation I am putting our for consideration is to take
the B as "when" or "in [doing this thing]". "When unbinding" [was
happening] and "when offering themselves" [was happening], then they blessed.
I agree that the way we go on the last two words is going to affect how
those infinitives are translated.

Other than the fact that the whole thrust of the song is to bless YHWH and to
exhort others to do so (a strong argument for taking these words as
imperative), is there anything in the language or grammar itself that would
prevent the interpretation that when the people did these things they blessed
YHWH?

Dana Densmore