b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Judges 5:2, two questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dana Densmore <verdelion AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew posts <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Judges 5:2, two questions
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:03:12 -0700 (PDT)

B-hebrew listmembers, I have two questions about this verse in the song of
Deborah to offer for your expertise and insights. Judges 5:2.

1. re the verb root PR( and its associated noun. Whether we are taking it
to be related to leading/leaders or to the unbinding of hair, we have the
masculine singular noun in the same form PERA( appearing in what I (and BDB)
take to be a plural noun PR(WT.

My question is whether there are other singular nouns of a similar form whose
plural looks like this. Is it common for an --A( patach ayin ending to be
pluralized like a --AH ending? Did it sound to the ear like an --AH feminine
form and thus get a feminine form plural? (I'm not bothered by the fact that
the noun is masculine, that's not my question.) When it's an --AH singular
it just goes to --WT replacing the AH; here it maintains the ayin and adds
the WT. Where else, if anywhere, does this happen?

2. The last two words of the verse certainly could be an imperative, [you
pl] Bless YHVH. And given the context of the Song, that seems probably most
likely. But is there any internal evidence that would prevent the sense of
the verse from being "when men were unbinding their hair in Israel [or the
leaders leading], and when the people were offering themselves, they blessed
YHVH." That is, that their coming out for the war at Deborah's/YHVH's call
was an act of blessing.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Dana Densmore
University of Wales