b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shechem and HWW

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shechem and HWW
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:14:26 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Gabe and Yaacov and the rest of this community

Regarding Shechem and HWW

The information below comes from my own exhaustive daily research for the
past 10 years which has culminated in thousands of pages of unpublished data
and a 700 page unpublished etymological dictionary.  I do not expect any of
you to agree, but I do wish to share.

Shechem :

(ShKM) comes from adding a Shin to an very rare root KWM which means "to fix
in place" (see Akkadian : to bind and Arabic : to cover up, conceal, plug up,
muzzle, gag, silence).  From this ShKM means to fix something onto the
shoulder to carry it.  (Think about how we must dig our shoulders into and
steady an item being carried - fix in place).  Therefore in Akkadian ShKM
means to carry, bear, sustain, be loaded; be a porter.  And in Ugaritic it
means to shoulder, top of wall / building; to carry on one's shoulders.
Generally when a person carries something on their shoulder they are making a
big effort as in English "to shoulder a burden." (as in the Christian
metaphor of a person bearing their cross (on their shoulder).  So ShKM also
means an effort (Tsephania 3:9); to make an effort, exert oneself, push,
venture forth (early)(Hoshea6:4), make a sustained effort, prepare, ready, be
vigilent / do with vigilence (Tsephania3:7), take
responsibility, an obligation or one's portion.  As to why this word is used
so often, when used in a positive sense the narrative is often trying to show
us that the characters involved were responsible and diligent; when used in a
negative sense it is trying to show us where their efforts were misdirected.

HWH:

Both HWH whim, fancy, calamity, capriciousness, mischief

and HYH (< HWH) to be, exist

come from the verb /AWH (where /A is aleph)
which means "to point to something that exists that one wants"
this verb has three parts:

1 - "to point" (Ps132:13)  >
/AY means "(point) where"
/AoTh means "sign, indication"
/AY means "(point) an island)
Ta/AaWaH  means "peak"

2 - "to want" (Dt14:16)(SmI2:16)(SmII3:21)(KgI11:37)(Is26:9) >
Ta/AaWaH  means "desire"
Ma/AWH means "desire" (Ps140:9)

3 - "to be, exist"
is harder to prove - it is related to /AeTh - the mark of the direct object -
which literally means "the persistent existence of a thing" in a similar way
to /AoTh meaning "sign, indication"

Suffice it to say that the unaspirated aleph becomes an aspirated Heh making

#2 (want, desire) into HWH = whim, fancy, calamity, capriciousness, mischief
#3 (existence) into HWH = HYH = to be, exist

The different meanings for #2 HWH comes from
(desire >) whim >>> fancy
                whim >>> capricious > calamity, mischief

For those who bothered to read this, thank you for your time.

David Kolinsky