b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Harold Holmyard'" <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>, "'b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:57:08 -0400

> From: Harold Holmyard Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:41 AM
>
> Steve,
> >
> > Ps 73:6 is translated “Therefore pride encircles them. A garment of
> violence
> > covers them.” I question translating the Hebrew word “sheeth” as
> “garment”
> > because it is only translated so here and in Prov 7:10.
>

> HH: That's not a sufficient basis to question the word, it seems to me.

[Steve Miller] Thanks Harold. The meaning of the Biblical Hebrew words is
determined by how they are used in the Bible. When a word is used only 2
times without a specific meaning required from the context that is not
reason enough to question the translation of that word? So what would be
sufficient reason? If it was used only once?
Neither LXX nor Lamsa translated it as "clothing" here. Lamsa translated it
as "clothing" in Prov 7:10 though.

> > The consonants Shin
> > Yod Tav are commonly translated “thorns” (i.e. Isa 5:6; 7:23-25, etc.),
> but
> > when translated as “thorns”, the word is voweled differently, with a
> patah
> > under the shin, rather then a hireq.
>

> HH: Well, that is significant.

[Steve Miller] How much authority do you give to the MT vowels?

> > Could the meaning of the 2nd ½ of Ps 73:6 be, “Thorns of violence cover
> > them” or “a thorny covering of violence is to them”? As thorns are a
> fallen
> > self-defense, the meaning then would be – if anyone tries to reprove
> them,
> > they violently attack him.
>

> HH: The fact is that metaphors like "garment of violence" are used
> elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible:
>
> Mal. 2:16 For I hate divorce, says the LORD, the God of Israel, and
> covering one’s garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So take
> heed to yourselves and do not be faithless.

[Steve Miller] Mal 2:16 seems to be the only one, and obviously does not use
the word "shayith" to mean garment, but "leboosh". Mal 2:16 shows that
"garment of violence" is a possible meaning of Psalm 73:6, but no more. Just
because a verse or even verses somewhere in the Bible say something does not
mean that another unrelated verse says the same thing when it uses different
words. I think this is a common problem in Old Testament translation. They
make verse A mean the same thing as verse B without paying enough attention
to the meaning of the words in verse A.

> > If so, then Prov 7:10 could be translated, “and behold a woman to meet
> him,
> > a thorny harlot and subtle of heart.” “Thorny” means she speaks verbal
> > barbs.
> >

> > Any comments?
> >

> HH: This seems unlikely.
> >

> > Another question: In Ps 73:6 there is a dash between the word “covers”
> and
> > “sheeth”. Does the dash mean anything?
> >

> > Thanks.
> >

> HH: It means that the two words are pronounced as one.
[Steve Miller] Thanks Harold.
-Steve Miller
Detroit