b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 06:41:13 -0500

Steve,

Ps 73:6 is translated “Therefore pride encircles them. A garment of violence
covers them.” I question translating the Hebrew word “sheeth” as “garment”
because it is only translated so here and in Prov 7:10.

HH: That's not a sufficient basis to question the word, it seems to me.

The consonants Shin
Yod Tav are commonly translated “thorns” (i.e. Isa 5:6; 7:23-25, etc.), but
when translated as “thorns”, the word is voweled differently, with a patah
under the shin, rather then a hireq.

HH: Well, that is significant.

Could the meaning of the 2nd ½ of Ps 73:6 be, “Thorns of violence cover
them” or “a thorny covering of violence is to them”? As thorns are a fallen
self-defense, the meaning then would be – if anyone tries to reprove them,
they violently attack him.

HH: The fact is that metaphors like "garment of violence" are used elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible:

Mal. 2:16 For I hate divorce, says the LORD, the God of Israel, and covering one’s garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So take heed to yourselves and do not be faithless.

If so, then Prov 7:10 could be translated, “and behold a woman to meet him,
a thorny harlot and subtle of heart.” “Thorny” means she speaks verbal
barbs.

Any comments?

HH: This seems unlikely.

Another question: In Ps 73:6 there is a dash between the word “covers” and
“sheeth”. Does the dash mean anything?

Thanks.

HH: It means that the two words are pronounced as one.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Sincerely,

-Steve Miller