b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Pharaoh "Touched" or "Plagued" by God at Genesis 12:17?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Pharaoh "Touched" or "Plagued" by God at Genesis 12:17?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:53:21 -0700

Dear Jim,

The English word "plagued" may also have the figurative use of "one who is
continually afflicted with trouble, harassment, etc." This corresponds to the
usage of "The Ten Plagues of Egypt." Those plagues did not include The Plague
(Bubonic, Pneumonic) which plagued Europe for several centuries during the
Middle Ages through the 19th Century.

What Abraham did is clearly WRONG! He lied. In fact, he did it a second time
with Abimelech of the Philistines! In both instances he claimed that Sarah was
his sister. That was only a half-truth (half-sister) since she was also his
wife. Although Abraham is clearly a man of faith, this does not mean that he
did
not have moments of unfaithfulness. The Patriarchal Narratives clearly show
God's faithfulness in spite of the Patriarchs' sinful actions. I do agree with
you that the Late Date theory of the writing of the Pentateuch is clearly
wrong,
but written ca. 1445-1405 BC. BUT that is not a matter for this forum! We must
stick to what the text says PERIOD!

How God "touched" Pharaoh versus how He "touched" Jacob is clearly different.
Jacob's was clearly a literal touch to the hip-joint between the thigh and
abdomen. The "touching" or "plaguing" that afflicted Pharaoh was entirely
different in that it affected his entire household (harem?).

Furthermore, I always remind myself that when the covenant of chapter 15 is
made
with Abraham it was God who walked between the carcasses NOT Abraham, because
Abraham was asleep. Thus, God is holding Himself responsible for the keeping
of
the covenant.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III