b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Pharaoh "Touched" or "Plagued" by God at Genesis 12:17?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Pharaoh "Touched" or "Plagued" by God at Genesis 12:17?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:28:48 +0300

Actually, Jim, you're ignoring the context. In Gen. 32:26 (not 25 in my Bible), the angel "vayyiga' " Jacob leg, in the qal, meaning simply "to touch". In Gen. 12:17, God "vaynaga' ", in the pi'el (I think), usually connoting a stronger action than in the qal. And then, the verse continues to state what God "touched" Pharaoh "and his house" with - "nega'im gedolim". So you have to look at the noun "Nega'". The most common usage of this word in the Bible by far specifically refers to leprosy. In other cases it clearly refers to some disease. It does not appear elsewhere in Genesis, but it Exodus 11:1 it also refers to something that God is about to bring down on Pharaoh and on Egypt - we soon find out that it refers to the death of the Egyptian firstborn.

So in my analysis, a "nega'" is (usually) a divinely-incurred disease, brought upon a specific person or persons in order to punish them or to warn them (remember, this is how leprosy was viewed as well, which is why it was "cured" by a priest and not by a doctor).

The word "nega'" is never paralleled by "magephah", which has a meaning closer to the English "plague", in that it kills indiscriminately.

An intersting insight, Jim, thank you.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>