b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LBLTY or LBTY, scribal error?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LBLTY or LBTY, scribal error?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:05:31 +0300

Karl

> Because of the contextual clues, it appears that we might be dealing with a
> textual copying error.
> That's why I ask, is this verse found in any of the DSS, and if so, what
> does the DSS say?

The only place it may appear is 6Q4. Unfortunately, I don't have that one.

On the other hand, the Septuagint seems to match the Hebrew very well here
"he gave the house space all around, outside the house,
in order that they should not lay hold of the walls of the house"
(Oxford - New English Translation of LXX)

In any case, I agree with Yitzhak that the Hebrew seems quite natural.
Of the three YCY( structures, the lowest is the narrowest and the highest is
the widest
since the walls are step-pyramid, and the beams of the YCY( have to rest on
the walls.

Thus LBLTY has its usual meaning - "so that it won't".

Yaakov (J) Stein