b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "the blood of Jezreel" in Hosea 1:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "the blood of Jezreel" in Hosea 1:4
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:47:30 -0700

Dear Gabe:
This is exactly why the multiple source theory is off limits for this group,
either pro- or con-.

I do not see 1 Kings 20 as giving a favorable image of Ahab. Rather I see a
king who is trapped in a situation where he cannot be an absolute dictator,
unlike many of the despot kings around him. Rather he is limited, therefore
unable to accede to the demands put on him. Further, he was in a society
where certain things were simply not done, sort of like post-Christian
Europe where the Christian tradition still guides many social conventions,
but stronger in the case of Ahab because the prophets kept pushing it into
his face.

Then in verses 13 and 28, Ahab is given the victory, not because of his
goodness, rather to give God glory, "… that you (Ahab) may know that I am
YHWH."

Therefore, for a person like myself, the multiple source view has zero
explanatory power.

This is not to argue, just comment.

As for the "blood of Jesreel" I reiterate that I think it refers to the
bloody reign of King Ahab, not the slaughter of Jehu.

Karl W. Randolph.