b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Vision of Gabriel : David and Jerusalem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Vadym Zhuravlov <baskrima AT km.ru>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Vision of Gabriel : David and Jerusalem
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:26:19 +0400

Comparing Great Isaiah Scroll and the text of "Vision of Gabriel" one can get
the following observations.
1. David is spelled as DWD in "stone" text (lines 16 and 72), and excusively
as DWYD in the scroll.
2. In the text of "Vision of Gabriel" Jerusalem is spelled YRWSLM (6 times),
while in the 1QIsa-a both spellings YRWSLYM and YRWSLYM are used
alternately.
In both cases the "stone" orthography is more ancient than one of the scroll.
On the other hand, as we already mentioned, stone text uses clear indications
of post-biblical language, like ending -YN instead of -YM and preposition S-
instead of ASR. This brings me the the question - is there a contradiction
between the language of the text and its orthography?

Best regards,
Vadym Zhuravlov