b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:38:57 +1000

Dear Isaac,

I personally assume no one has deliberately sought "to set out to build theoretical castles in the air". I assume this even of your own position. Ironically, I have previously demonstrated clearly to you that your own position regarding compounding of personal pronouns is simply linguistically untenable -- that is, that it could well be considered a "theoretical castle in the air" given that you seem to conveniently turn a blind eye to the proof of the error of the theory so that the theory itself can still be maintained.

It seems to me that you do not value linguistic methodology and have no real interest in seeking to be conversant in it. It is a mockery to say that "[a]nything said about the vocalization of ancient languages should be taken with three grains of salt." There is generally sound linguistic methodology utilised in the study of ancient Semitic phonetics -- no one is "set[ting] out to build theoretical castles in the air".

I'm not sure why you say that the essays I mentioned are difficult to obtain because they are not:

http://www.harrassowitz-verlag.de/title_2315.ahtml
http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookview.cgi?bookid=CILT%20241

The second link even has an option to browse the entire volume!

I assume ILL is an option for you too since you're affiliated with an academic institution.

I'm curious about your BACAR, 'reaped', and BICER, 'fortified'. Can you provide some examples?

In any case, I do not want to get into a debate with you again as we clearly operate with divergent methodologies and so no resolution on most matters linguistic seems quote remote.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

David,

1. It is not mockery but a modest reminder that before we set out to build theoretical castles in the air we need to pause and reconsider how flimsy, dubious, uncertain and controversial the raw data possibly is.
2. The articles you cite are not easy to get. Posting them would be helpful.
3. If someone prefers to see $IBER of Exodus 9:25 as 'broke to pieces' or 'broke over and over'; or GIDE(A of Psalms 107:15 as 'hacked to smidgens' it is his choice. Some Hebrew grammar books say so too [Gesenius, on page 141 of his grammar book, asserts that "The fundamental idea of the piel, to which all the various shades of meaning in this conjugation may be referred is to busy oneself eagerly with the action indicated by the stem"] but the value of their supporting evidence is practically zero. I myself don't find any justification for this extra reading into the text.
4. Similarly, you may look at the $IXET [with a taw] form of Genesis 38:9 as a hint to recidivism, or you may consider it a guard against the reading $AXAT with a tet.
5. Evidently, piel is principally causative as in GIDAL, XIZAL, and so on. It is also used to create words with an extended, or implied, meaning distinct from the one in the paal form, for instance, BACAR, 'reaped', and BICER, 'fortified'; or from a name, for instance ZANAB and ZINEB. This device is put to good use now in spoken Hebrew with the purpose of enlarging the vocabulary, for instance, $ATAQ, 'was silent', $ITEQ, 'paralyzed'; QAMAC, 'grasped', QIMEC, 'economized'.
6. It is conceivable that some of these piel forms were not "originally" there but were introduced by the nakdanim or their forerunners to embellish the reading.

Isaac Fried, Boston University