b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:23:41 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

The bgdkpt were weakened by spirantisation. If you say the hard and then
soft sounds, you will find that they are the same, except the hard sound is
a complete stop, and in the soft sound the air is not stopped. You need to
keep both F and V as bilabials to feel this. Technically - from memory,
voicing is not strengthening, but a form of lenition. The Celtic languages
uses both spirantisation and voicing as a form of lenition. The usual
explanation is that the spirantisation is imported from Aramaic. As usual,
there is enough evidence to make it a possibility, not enough to say it is a
certainty.

Kevin Riley