b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Etymology of "Galilee"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew mailing list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Etymology of "Galilee"
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:21:44 -0700

Dear Pere:
Just as Chris Weimer mentioned, you can ignore Jim Stinehart. I do.

GLYLH, used 5 of 7 times in the plural, refers to districts. You are right,
its etymology is from GLL, to go around, from which I get the picture of the
prince making a circuit around his princedom. It is used of the flat plains
of Philistia and of the flat flood plains of the Jordan. It does not mean
hilly land.

When Isaac gets on his etymology kick, he is usually wrong, so I tend to
ignore his posts as well.

As for your example of (SS, it is found as a verb only once in Malachi 3:21
where it has the meaning of walking upon, hence the must from grapes (SYS
being that which drips out of a vat after the farmer walks upon the grapes.

Karl W. Randolph.