b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:23:21 -0700

Thanks, you all, interesting responses.
First of all, Noah does not come from the root NXM, rather the two are to be
taken together as part of a story. Not all the names where the reason for
the name is the same as the etymology of the words used in the reason.

In Job 42:6, is NXM a verb, or a noun NXMH with the first person singular
possessive suffix? Does it not read better as the latter? "For this reason I
am rejected and my consolation is upon dust and ashes."

I'm beginning to wonder if this verb is similar to parakaleo in Greek, where
the "calling to one's side" is often used for the derivative purposes of
consoling, upbraiding, instructing, encouraging, etc. and the best way to
translate it is not for the primary action of calling aside, rather the
derivative meanings? So here the primary meaning refers to the action of
turning back, with the derivative understandings of turning back from
mourning (consolation), turning back from an action (repent), turning back
from approval (regret), and so forth?