b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:51:47 +1000

Hi Bryan,

I can't remember off-hand if there are other examples of NXM as an intransitive piel and don't have time at the moment to check unfortunately.

Personally, I don't think venixamti reads naturally as a standard niphal: (a) all other occurrences of NXM in the book are "comfort" and not "repent"; (b) the conceptual links back to the prologue and the friends coming to "comfort"; and (c) I take it that Job has nothing as such to repent of (hence commentaries tend to tone down considerably what "repent" means here) as God commends what Job has spoken of him to the friends (42:7, 8) -- a referral which cannot be naturally taken as contained to the final chapters (cf. Porter's article in EQ 63 (1991)).

Maybe another rendering might be: "Therefore, I melt [in reverence] and receive comfort upon dust and ash."

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Hi David,

I read your article with great interest (thanks!) having written my own
interpretation of Job (for a popular audience), which I hope will be
published soon. Of course, we all relish the chance to explain our take
on the enigmatic book.

Job 42:6 venixamti reads quite naturally as a standard niphal. Do you
know of other cases of NXM used as an "intransitive piel"? I expect "I
am comforted" would be nuxamti (pual).

All the best,
Bryan