b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Hamuel <davidhamuel AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:15:18 -0700 (PDT)

>> As regards "to run"... are you sure that it is one
of them?
>> If yes, do you think that:
>>
>> 1. I run 20 miles every week -- is intransitive
use
>> 2. I cannot run this program -- is transitive use?
>>

> Correct on both. Or another example, "The snake oil
salesman was run
out
> of
> town."

---------------------------------
The first sample is binyan kal, pa'al. The second
sample is binyan hif'il.
(Intransitive verb does not transfer the action to a
recipient: Jack's grandfather was born in 1911.
Transitive verb does need a direct or indirect object
to complement its meaning: The parents bought snacks
for the kids).

> The snake oil salesman was run out of town
> The snake oil salesman was caused to run out of the
town

Here we need to know what is the context, or what do
you want to convey with "was run out"/ "was caused to
run"?
That said, to use the verb ??? —escape, flee, or ???
?

Best,

David Hamuel

Type Designer: Non-Latin & Latin
Biblical & Modern Hebrew, Semitic Languages
www.Adjective5.com

Los Angeles, CA • USA

  • [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR, David Hamuel, 04/05/2008