b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nimrod?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nimrod?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:35:45 +0200

Dear Edward,

First of all, I'll address the very end of your post: if you feel comfortable believing that Nimrod was "a rebel and a tyrant", I have absolutely no reason to disturb you comfort. Since, unlike your murder trial metaphore, no-one's life is at stake here, you are entitled to your belief. I only ask that you recognize that your belief is just that: belief.

Now to the point: there is no "secular evidence" as you call it, about Nimrod at all, one way or another. He is not mentioned by name (or by any other name that we can readily identify) in any contemporary or near-contemporary source that we know about. I'd like to know what "Sumerian-Akkadian didactic poems report his heroic deeds". The fact that Josephus, the various rabbinic sources and the much later Arabic traditions record stories about him is neither here nor there, since as far as anyone cane prove, they all go back, directly or indirectly, to the same few verses in Genesis. So the very question of whether Nimrod even ever existed goes back to the much more basic question of how "historical" any of Gen. 1-11 is. From that perspective, Nimrod is no more or less "historical" than Adam and Eve, Cain and Ebel, Enoch, Methuselah or Noah. If you believe that they existed because you believe in the historical accuracy of the Bible that's fine, but that's not historcial evidence and we should take care not to confuse the two.

So all we're left with is what Gen. 10:8-12 tells us. You claim that "lifney YHWH" carries a negative meaning, and cite examples of it doing so. So here's a counter-example: in 2 Sam. 5:3, all Israel come to make David their king, and he makes a covenant with them at Hebron "lifney YHWH" and they annoint him king. Here "lifney YHWH" certainly means "before the Lord" in a positive way. It is only post-biblical interprative tradition (that is, midrash) that understood his name as being derived from the Hebrew root for "rebel" and understood that as revealing his character.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Andrews" <edandrews AT roadrunner.com>