b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question on vowel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question on vowel
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:32:38 +0200

I've thought about it some more and it seems to me that the form with qamats
is to be explained as an archaic form displaced by analogy. While analogy is
a normal linguistic process which displaces older forms, the older forms
sometime survive in restricted contexts. One would still have to figure out
the exact analogy, however.

Yitzhak Sapir