b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question on vowel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>, <JimStinehart AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question on vowel
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:02:11 +0100

I'm seeking the reason for the different vowel in two words that are structurally equal.

I'm telling on the cluster consisting of Qal Participle singular of verbs lamed"heh + suffix of first person singular, -ny

Look at www.oham.net/out/S-d/S-d1496.html and then at www.oham.net/out/S-d/S-d1497.html
In the first, the second root consonant takes tsere. While in the latter the second root consonant takes qamats.
Does anyone of you which is the reason for this?

Maybe the reason is that the first case is in pause while the second is not? Or maybe the reason is that aleph does not take tsere but qamats (disregarding of pause or non-pause position of the word)? Is there another reason for these different vowels?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)