b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qoheleth 7:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • To: "Ron Snider" <sarasotapt AT comcast.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qoheleth 7:27
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:27:00 -0300

Thank you for asking a grammatical question!

Other grammars might explain it more clearly, but since I have GKC right
here, I'll quote §122.o on the substantive use of a feminine adjective where
English would use "thing".

4. The following classes of ideas, which are also regarded as feminine in
Hebrew (see above, h), are usually indicated by the feminine form,
notwithstanding their occasional transference to masculine persons (see r and
s):
(a) Abstracts(sometimes along with masculine forms from the same stem, as
נְקָמָה vengeance, as well as נָקָם, עֶזְרָה help, as well as עֵ֫זֶר), e.g.
אֱמוּנָה firmness, faithfulness, גְּבוּרָה strength, גְּדוּלָה greatness,
מְלֵאָה fullness, מֶמְשָׁלָה dominion, &c. Similarly, the feminine (sing. and
plur.) of adjectives and participles is used substantivally in the sense of
the Latin and Greek neuter, e.g. נְכוֹנָה stedfastness, Ps 5:10, טוֹבָה
goodness, רָעָה evil, Gn 50:20, נְקַלָּה a light thing (i.e. a trifling
thing), Jer 6:14; so especially in the plural, e.g. גְּדֹלוֹת great things,
Ps 12:4; הַנֶּֽהֱרָסוֹת the ruined places, Ez 36:36, along with הַנְּשַׁמָּה
that which was desolate, טֹבוֹת kindnesses, 2 K 25:28, נְכֹחוֹת uprightness,
honesty, Is 26:10, נְעִימוֹת amoena, Ps 16:11 (but in verse 6 in the same
sense נְעִימִים), נִפְלָאוֹת wonderful things, Ex 34:10 and frequently,
קָשׁוֹת hard things, roughly Gn 42:7, 30 (but cf. also רֵיקִם vain things, Pr
12:11, 28:19). Cf. moreover, the very frequent use of זֹאת, הִיא (as well as
זֶה and הוּא), Ju 14:4, Ps 118:23, &c., in the sense of hoc, illud (also
הֵ֫נָּה equivalent to illa, Is 51:19): also the use of the feminine form of
the verb in Is 7:7 לֹא תָקוּם וְלֹא תִֽהְיֶה it shall not stand, neither
shall it come to pass; cf. Jer 10:7; so too the suffixes Gn 15:6, Ex 10:11,
Jb 38:18, referring back to a whole statement.

Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar (ed. E. Kautzsch and Sir Arthur Ernest Cowley; 2d
English ed.), 393.

Ken

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (McMaster)
Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic vocabulary memorization software:
http://purl.org/net/kmpenner/flash