b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Afula vs. Biblical Ephrathah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Afula vs. Biblical Ephrathah
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:21:49 +0200

Dear Jim,

I'm glad to see that you accept my explanation about why Afula is not Ophrah. The ancient site that is within the modern city of Afula is a cute little tell, with rows of Roman-period sarcophagi (did I spell that right?) re-used by the crusaders as building blocks surrounding its summit. For some more information about the site look here:
http://www.hadashot-esi.org.il/report_detail_eng.asp?id=457&mag_id=111.

You are correct, Jim, that there are remains from most periods all the way back to the Early Bronze Age represented at the site. However, as far as I remember, the Late Bronze Age, which you insist is the time of the Patriarchs, is NOT represented.

There are lots of reasons to identify Ephrath(a) in the area of Bethlehem-Judah. Take a look at the genealogies in I Chr. 2 and 4, and you'll see that the "clan" of Ephrath is connected to such places as Etam, Tekoa, Zorah and Manahath, all in the Judean hills or Shephalah, certainly NOT in the Jezreel Valley.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>