b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Lot as a Hostage

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Lot as a Hostage
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:14:07 EST

Oun Kwon:

Thank you for your kind words.

1. You wrote: “Are you perhaps writing a book?”

No, I have no immediate plans to write a book. I am still learning about the
Patriarchal narratives.

2. You wrote: “With comments, Q/A, and clarification
you have after postings, perhaps you may polish what you have posted
and bring into a book form (say, in pdf format). It would benefit many
with give insightful (and, not less, provocative) information.”

The comments I receive on my postings here are invaluable to me. I have
learned so much more about the Patriarchal narratives since I started posting
here. Part of that is due directly to the criticisms of my views I have
received
here. And part of it is due to the fact that when I type up my thoughts on
an
aspect of the Patriarchal narratives, I often realize that there are issues
there that I had not previously explored.

3. My fond hope is that someday I will convince at least one university
scholar to investigate seriously the possibility that the Patriarchal
narratives
may be closely based on well-documented historical events from the mid-14th
century BCE. It is my considered opinion that the current scholarly view,
which
sees the Patriarchal narratives as being composed (or at least very heavily
edited) by four or more southern Hebrews in the mid-1st millennium BCE,
simply
cannot be squared with the substantive content of the text. As I see it,
there
was only one author of the Patriarchal narratives, he was a pre-Hebrew from
northern Canaan who became the first Hebrew, and he lived in the mid-14th
century BCE. I view the Patriarchal narratives as being the rock-solid
historical
foundation of Judaism.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois