b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] killing the messenger

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] killing the messenger
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:51:00 -0800

Dear Yaakov:
First of all, we are making the assumption that the consonantal text that we
have is accurate to the original.

Secondly, is this a verb, or a noun? If a noun, would it not refer to an
action that the messenger is doing, rather than to what is done to him?

Of course, if this is a noun, then the Masoretic points are wrong (as they
are often enough).

Words from this root are found in over 30 verses, and as far as I can tell
have the meaning of "to trim off, pare away and throw away that which is
pared or trimmed off so that it is prevented from being presented (as an act
of concealment, destruction)" If this is a noun, then would not the
translation be "even those who he pares away" where the English uses a verb
while the Hebrew is a noun?

Karl W. Randolph.