b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] killing the messenger

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] killing the messenger
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:45:02 +0200

Exodus 23:20- talks about the messenger/angel that God plans sending
to accompany the people into the promised land.

Verse 23 ends with the word VHKXDTYV, literally and <and I will destroy
"him">.
It is not obvious to what antecedent the suffix pronoun refers.
All the translations and commentaries I have seen assume that this
refers to destruction of each of the six nations mentioned, i.e.
When my messenger goes with you, and I bring you to the six nations
and destroy THEM.
Since each is mentioned as a collective noun in the singular,
this COULD be the meaning, but it is strange that the six together
are not considered plural. (Note that one of the seven nations is
missing - the Girgashi)

I would like to propose that the suffix actually refers to the
messenger, i.e.
When my messenger goes with you, and I bring you to the six nations
and destroy HIM.

This destroying of he messenger/angel is not a strange idea.
Rabbinic literature states that there are angels created for specific
tasks,
and once their task is completed they no longer exist.
That is one reason they are reluctant to give their names
(e.g. the angel that wrestled with Jacob).

Also, we know from verse 29 that God does not intend wiping out
the indigenous nations quickly. Verse 32 talks about the risk of the
Israelites
making covenants with them. This could not happen if they were wiped
out.
So the use of the word "LHKXYD" with respect to them seems
inappropriate.

Under this assumption the following verses make more sense.
If the meaning were the detruction of the indigenous nations,
why would the next verse express concerns about the people
adopting the Gods of obliterated nations ?
However, if it is the angel who will no longer be with the people,
the concern makes perfect sense.

Yaakov (J) Stein