b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Wellhausen vs. "Ashur" and Kitchen

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen vs. "Ashur" and Kitchen
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:39:46 EST

Yitzhak Sapir:

You wrote: “This is only part of a much longer review of an article of
Kitchen mostly on the Exodus but also touching other subjects like the
Conquest.
The other example of flawed linguistic analysis by Kitchen is not as simple
for
you to explain.”

1. I am not a big fan of Kitchen. His views do not mirror mine.

2. I see no secular historical evidence for an historical Exodus or an
historical Conquest. I do not dispute that the Book of Exodus is “late”,
likely
having been composed in the mid-1st millennium BCE.

3. But if you have anything at all in the Patriarchal narratives that is out
of place in the mid-14th century BCE time period, whether linguistically or
otherwise, I would be super-excited to hear about that.

4. Or to put the same thought in a more confrontational manner:

How can you continue to insist that the Patriarchal narratives were composed “
late”, at about the same times as the Book of Exodus, when to date you have
not set forth any evidence to support that claim?

Where is the “smoking gun” that disproves my theory that the Patriarchal
narratives were composed in the mid-14th century BCE, with little subsequent
editing?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois

  • [b-hebrew] Wellhausen vs. "Ashur" and Kitchen, JimStinehart, 01/02/2008