b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Amarna letters

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Amarna letters
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:33:07 +0000

Jim Stinehart,

I am not trying to argue with you about the Amarna letters and the
patriarchal narratives, but I want to say one main thing, you only look for
similarities, and you totally ignore differences. If you only give weight to
evidence that fits your beliefs, and you give no weight to anything against
your beliefs, then you are guaranteeing that your belief will win.

If a leader from Shechem gets killed in the Amarna letters and a leader from
Shechem also got killed in the patriarchal narratives, then you see the
similarity as a proof. You don't seem interested in the details of either
story or any of the differences because you don't consider differences as
evidence. If you don't consider differences as evidence, then, of course, you
can't be proven wrong.

Kenneth Greifer