b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Wellhausen

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <michaelabernat9001 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:33:09 -0600

It has been a long time since I have actually indulged in a serious discussion of Wellhausen's theories. So, I am probably too dated to contribute to this discussion. However, I would like to ask a question. How verifiable is this theory? I have only read one study which attempted to prove the existence of distinct sources based on a computer analysis of stylistic differences in Genesis. That study was at best inconclusive. I can't say that I am surprised. I should think such a study might reveal the most blatant plagiarism but any storyteller adapting material from other sources would probably use the style he was most comfortable with rather than retaining the style of the original sources.
I guess I do have one additional question. Can anyone tell me if any modern studies have been done to prove the viability of identifying different source materials used to produce a story?
Thank you,
Michael Abernathy