b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Graf-Wellhausen discredited

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Graf-Wellhausen discredited
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:18:44 -0800

Dear Yitzhak,

The question of the Graf-Wellhausen theory of JEDP begins with assumptions
that
cannot be proven in any shape or form primarily based on the use of the names
of
God found in the text, that the text evolved over time (evolutionary theory),
that there is no predictive prophecy (text written after the events) and that
theological texts cannot present accurate historical, scientific information.
do not deny that there was some redaction (editing) found in the entire Mosaic
corpus, but near as much as modern "so-called" scholarship thinks. There is
just
too much information found within the Pentateuch that corroborates a 2nd
Millennium BC. Kenneth Kitchen as shown that much.

Finally, since we are treading very close to being off-topic for this list, it
is apparent from other parts of the Tanakh that Mosaic authorship was affirmed
by various authors/prophets, etc. I do not include quotes from the NT that
also
confirm this finding.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III