b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Graf-Wellhausen discredited

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Graf-Wellhausen discredited
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:25:48 -0800 (PST)

"This is how it displaced and
discredited the earlier theory of Mosaic authorship even at a time
when scholars did not have the archaeological insights that we
have today and which inform us how totally incompatible the Mosaic
authorship theory with our modern knowledge of archaeology and
linguistics."

This is a long and ailing sentence which suffers from syntactical
problems, and more seriously, from thematic ones.

Anyone with the slightests familiarity with archaeology understands
that it can not be "compatible' or "incompatibale" with a literary text. A
literary text does not require any "proof". Much was written about the
subject, but it is not within the scope of this list.

And moreover, the well known dictum: "Absence of Evidence, is
not Evidence of Absence" should always give one pause about
matters which did, or did not happen over three thousand years ago.

It was pointed out already, the historicity of Moses and matters of
faith are also outside the scope of this list.

Uri Hurwitz
Great Neck, NY