b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 7:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ron Snider <sarasotapt AT comcast.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 7:7
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:13:56 -0500

Well, let me say that "Did you read my question?" The translation is irrelevant to my question, and BTW, your translation is quite unique. In fact, it deviates from every commentary, every lexicon, and every English version I have seen.

However, that being said, in response to your post,

"For the defrauder makes a fool of the wise and makes the heart lost from
narrating (so that it does not narrate)"

($Q to defraud, used in participle, defrauder (in context, the defrauder is

Actually, it is a masculine noun with the definite article. It most likely looks at one attempting to extort the wise man.

probably death)

hardly likely

YHWLL pilel of HWL to make a fool of.

Correct

XKM wise

Correct

)BD to become lost, often used as a euphemism for to die, perish.

True, but in this context, Solomon is setting forth the limitations of wisdom in spite of advancing its value in the previous two verses.

LB heart.

Heart is used in a number of ways...here I take it as the norms and standards, the conscience is corrupted in one that takes a bribe.

MTNH prefixed M, TNH to narrate.

Every lexicon I consulted has this as a femine singular noun that means gift. In this case a gift or bribe given to influence someone (likely a judge or another authority)

I did find an answer in Williams, Hebrew Syntax and Outline on page 41, section 228.

Thanks anyway.

Ron Snider,