b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sending books by email page by page

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sending books by email page by page
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:17:25 -0800

Dear Kenneth,

To a certain extent I agree that Jim should submit a book for online perusal,
but I disagree that his emails are in book form. They are long, but
considering
the current topic regarding puns on the names of the children of Israel/Jacob
(which involves puns also) they are going to be long because we (the list)
require that the evidence be presented with the sources given. This is a topic
(puns) that is sadly neglected by most commentaries and by most Hebrew
scholars.
Just look at the number of puns in the English language. We normally think of
puns on the sound of a word, but puns also involve plays on meaning or
spelling.
Sexual innuendos found in our culture (and would probably say every culture)
are
one form of puns. The Song of Solomon uses poetic language to put puns to use.
Most puns are funny, but some are very serious indeed. In fact, when I was
studying for a test on the Song of Solomon at Los Angeles Baptist College (now
The Master's College) a long time ago, I would listen to the tape while
reading.
This caused some consternation amongst the coeds (I wonder why? No Duh!)
because
they would pick up on the puns and innuendos being presented. They, the coeds
and myself, would understand this in English. Could you imagine how much more
understanding of the text (and probably a whole lot more blushing) if we were
all able to understand the Hebrew? Yes, the Lord does have a sense of humor
with
His creation.

Now regarding the use of puns in the children of Israel/Jacob. Jim seems to
have
a point in that the puns used in Genesis are for the purpose of describing the
actions both present and future of these children. The argumentation probably
needs to tightened up, but for the most part, seems cogent. The plaintive,
i.e.
Jim, is still presenting his case. The defendants, i.e. that's us on this
list,
will question, present counter-arguments, etc. to either prove or disprove the
case. Eventually, both sides will hand the case over to the jury. Let's wait
and
see the entire evidence before we make a decision one way or another. In fact,
it is quite possible for a hung-jury. It all depends on the evidence presented
and the removal of all doubt for Jim to prove his case.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III