b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Explain it please

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "<pporta AT oham.net>" <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Explain it please
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 20:36:47 -0500

Pere,

1. Your mail still appears on my screen part in tiny letters and part in "regular size" letters. I will ask our network administrator for an explanation. Meanwhile I am switching from Helvetica to Verdana.
2. Even though -AH is in my opinion but a contracted HI) it may refer to various agents and objects in various relationship modes. We have YALDAH, 'girl, child-she', YALDAH, 'she gave birth, produced-a-chid- she' and YALDAH, 'her boy, boy-she'.
3. Corresponding to )I$ ZAR we have of course )I$A [not )I$AH] ZARAH, but DIRAH, 'apartment' is not the feminine of DIR, 'sty'. Someone announcing that he has a nice DIR on a quiet street will be the cause of immense merriment and derision, and will be long remembered in many a Purim party. Hebrew produces now different words [lexemes in polite circles] out of the same root by making "kind of" feminine counterparts, say, KBUDAH, 'luggage'.
4. In the adjective TOBAH, 'good', -AH refers to the feminine bearer of the attribute, but in the noun TOBAH, 'favor, goodness', -AH refers to the thing itself. Incidentally it is "female", as is autostradah.
5 The counterpart to MAR, 'mister' is MAR-AT, where -AT is surely the personal pronoun AT, 'you'. MARAH is 'bitter'. Such is also the relationship between GEBER and GBER-ET.

Isaac Fried, Boston University