b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "<pporta AT oham.net>" <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:02:09 -0500

Pere,

The flow chart should go, methinks, this way

----------> MELEK, king

MLK, root
----------> MALKUT, kingdom, kingship

Now, matters become befogged because we jump from one language to another and think that by mechanical translation we achieve understanding. To understand the Hebrew you need to explain to yourself what MELEK and MALKUT mean without using the English equivalents, only the root MLK.

Isaac Fried, Boston University