b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] MX&OP in Gen 30:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] MX&OP in Gen 30:37
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:55:45 +0200

Karl

> This is a participle, part of a subordinate clause. The whole phrase
is:
> ????? ???? ???? ?? ??????
> MX&P HLBN )$R (L HVQLWT
> making bare the white which was upon the sticks.

Which is, as I said originally, what the classic commentators say
(GYLWY).

This is certainly a possibility, and being a participle explains why
there
is no "et" as one would expect from other verb forms.

But do you agree with the massoretic vocalization with a "holam haser" ?

I can't think of any other examples of the grammatical form M--O-
used in this way.

Isaac saw the form as a noun,
more particularly the MA being "the thing which is".
This fits the grammatical form, but leaves the syntax problematic.

Yaakov (J) Stein