b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] MX&OP in Gen 30:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] MX&OP in Gen 30:37
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:31:35 +0200

I was wondering about the grammatical form of the word MX&OP.

The root clearly means "to expose" or "to reveal"
from comparison with Is52:10 and Ps29:9.

I always read the sentence as if it were LX&OP, i.e.
peeling the bark (in order) to expose the white

but Rashi and others remark that MX&OP is GYLWY, i.e.
peeling the bark (and thus) exposing the white

an easier possibility for M--O- is a noun form (similar to MXSOR, MXSOM)
peeling the bark (and discovering) the exposed white

(Incidentally, in modern Hebrew this noun form is used
for an "exposed" neckline.)

However, the first reading requires a L, the second should be X&YPH,
and the third seems to be missing some connectives.

Can anyone explain this grammatical form ?

Yaakov (J) Stein