b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Peer Review

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Peer Review
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:54:36 -0800 (PST)

Reviews are important, and most publishers - in many fields - happily print
them on dust jackets when obtaining them pre-publication.

Human nature being what it is, it happens that Somebody will be cited or
praised in a work being reviewed, and lo and behold, the very same Somebody
then gives a high, quoatble opinion on that same work. This is known as
'scratch my back and I'll scratch yours'.

That is true in all fields of human endeavor and scholarship, and
especially in such value laden areas as biblical language, content and
historicity, when a reviewer will tend to praise works that support his or
her agenda.

Uri Hurwitz