b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] PS: David "expelling" a soul in the New Testament?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] PS: David "expelling" a soul in the New Testament?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:41:07 +0100

I should have stated clearly:

The note, although appended to a passage in 1 Sam, explicitly talks about
this apocryphal episode taking place "in the New Testament", obviously
intending a little typological parallelizing.

In my rough translation of my colleaue's transcription of the Old Danish, it
goes:

"In the Old Testament, David expelled the Devil from Saul, but what he did in
the New Testament was this: When a pious man was about to die, but for fear
of the devil his soul was unwilling to leave the body (that is why the Virgin
Mary asked her son not to have to see the devil at death), the angel of the
aforementioned soul came and asked her [the soul, grammatically fem.] to
depart voluntarily: no harm would come to her. And yet she refused. The angel
then fetched David with his musical instrument, and he played for the dying
man and he [writer's error? presumably she = the soul] gladly departed."

kol tuv