b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 02:13:15 -0800

Dear George:

Thanks for the humor.

On 11/7/07, George Athas <george.athas AT moore.edu.au> wrote:
> Would the connection between work and deafness (XR$) be related to the
> operation of heavy machinery leading to industrially caused deafness?
> And any associations with queuing might refer to 'bundying-in' for the
> day.
>
> ;-D
>

> Best Regards,
>
> GEORGE ATHAS
> Moore Theological College (Sydney)
> 1 King St, Newtown, NSW 2042, Australia
> Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774

While it is true that even in pre-industrial work that certain jobs
often resulted in at least partial deafness, in particular those
involved in metal hammers striking metal, the main thing I was
focusing on was that a person often had to *act* as if he were deaf
and dumb, i.e. not listening or talking, in order to get his work
done. It is said that men are poor at multi-tasking, working at
talking at the same time is multi-tasking so either one or the other
will suffer, especially on jobs that require concentration.

As for this queuing thing, I don't get it either.

Thanks again for the humor.