b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Abraham Born in Mesopotamia?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "jason silber" <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Abraham Born in Mesopotamia?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 16:11:25 -0500

Dave,
as a Hebrew speaker i can tell you that 'bayamim hahem' implies that a long
time had past. it implies another era.

in a world which was much slower, place names didn't just change. even
today, in the regions of Judea and Samaria many place names are Arabicized
Hebrew names. in other words the place names haven't changed in 3000
years.

the writer is communicating to contemporaneous readers or listeners place
name information they wouldn't know..