b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew Wod study tools

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Wod study tools
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

After reading wha James Barr had to say about
Kittel's for New Testament Greek, I completely stopped
using it. I want to ask about the situation for word
study tools in the Scriptures of Israel. Given the
various tools, such as TDOT (Botterwich and Ringgren),
NIDOTTE and the Theological Wjorkbook of the Old
Testament, and other English tools for studying
Biblical Hebrew words, which, if any, are built upon
what are currently considered sound linguistic
principles to ascertain the meanings of words? I have
three volumes of TDOT but stopped buying it on the
assumption that it probably suffered from the same
issue of method as Kittel's, as well as, like Kittel's
being somewhat dated. Thanks.

Ken Litwak